It’s easy to reach for junk food when we’re hungry for a snack. Snacks are meant to be easy and fast and not something you have to spend time preparing like a full meal. So we tend to go for what’s most convenient at the time — potato chips, french fries, chicken nuggets, ice cream… the list goes on. But it’s no secret that these foods are toxic and lead to weight gain and a long list of other unhealthy symptoms.
So what can you eat that’s fast, convenient and easy to access while you’re on-the-go — that won’t pile on extra pounds of fat and leave you feeling awful 30 minutes after you’ve eaten? Here are 7 naturally slimming and detoxifying snacks that you can eat anytime, guilt-free.
1. Avocado. Have you ever heard the phrase “fat burns fat”? Yes, it’s true! We’re talking about healthy fat, and avocado is a great source of it. Also rich in vitamins, dietary fiber and coenzymeQ10 (a beauty-enhancing component of cells), this is a fruit I never get tired of eating.
2. Grapefruit. A natural metabolism booster, grapefruit is a great sidekick to any breakfast. I like to put it in my water, along with cucumber, mint and orange slices, and drink it throughout the day to flush the fat away!
3. Asparagus. This delicious vegetable contains the chemical asparagine, which is an alkaloid that stimulates the kidneys, improves circulatory function and helps break down fat. It’s also a natural diuretic, which helps prevent weight gain through water-retention. Though it’s best eaten raw, you can pan-sear it for a few minutes in grapeseed oil and season with salt and pepper for the perfect midday treat.
4. Celery. Rich in magnesium and iron (both detoxifying minerals) celery also has a high concentration of pure calcium, which puts your endocrine system to work, igniting those fat-burning hormones! Spread almond butter on each stalk for a healthy afternoon snack.
5. Chia seeds. This fantastic superfood is rich in fiber and antioxidants. Chia seeds are also the richest plant source of omega-3 fatty acids and a complete protein source, containing all of the essential amino acids your body needs. Add a few tablespoons to your protein shake after a workout for a little extra boost.
6. Brazil nuts. Again, fat burns fat, and Brazil nuts are another great source of it! Studies have shown that eating 1-2 Brazil nuts a day can speed up weight loss.
7. Kale chips. Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. It’s rich in detoxifying nutrients, which supply your liver (your body’s main detoxifying organ) with the energy it needs to function properly. 4 cups contain 10 grams of fiber and enough nutrients to send your liver into detox mode for 48 hours! If you’re not a fan of raw kale, I highly recommend baking it in the oven to make kale chips. They’re much healthier than potato chips and taste great when seasoned with a little salt and pepper.
Keep in mind that these foods must be part of an overall clean diet and lifestyle that incorporates the 5 essentials to be effective. Don’t expect to get skinny just by snacking on a few kale chips or adding chia seeds to your protein shake once a week. Make sure your meals are packed with nutrient-dense foods as well, and exercise regularly for best results. You may also want to invest in some detoxifying supplements, such as the Maximized Living Detox System to kickstart your weight-loss goals!